Happy 2014 readers! After a long break, I’m back with some of the holiday yummies I made while I was away. I’d like to start off with the awesome pumpkin pie I made–from the pumpkin! This may not excite you quite the same way it thrills me, but this was one of those cooking challenges I was absolutely convinced I could never pull off successfully and it turned out to be so much easier than I expected.
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
* You could make your own pie crust, but I like the Pillsbury pre-made, roll-out ones; they also turn out to be healthier than the store brand pre-formed ones.
1. Break down pumpkin. Cut it like you mean it and either scrape out the seeds or slice them off like I did (above). Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork (the first picture shows mine as it came out of the oven). Cool until just warm.
2. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. The flesh will peel away from the skin. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
3. In a large bowl, slightly beat eggs. Add brown sugar, flour, salt, spices, 2 cups of the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk. Stir well after each addition.
4. Pour mixture into the unbaked pastry shell. Place a strip of aluminum foil around the edge of the crust to prevent over browning.
5. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove the strip of foil about 20 minutes before the pie is done so that the edge of the crust will be a light golden brown. Know that this pie will not be super firm as you pull it out. I think it’s because of the higher water content of fresh pumpkin. Don’t worry, it will solidify as it cools.
Sorry I don’t have a picture of the completed pie, I got too excited and had to it eat it right away!!