Here’s a lightened up version of a classic favorite. I made it with veggie pasta (believe me, it’s tasty) and lighter cheese. The result is a mac and cheese that maintains its cheesy goodness without being dense or heavy.
- 2 (12 oz) cans fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 (11 oz) cans Campbell’s Healthy Request cheddar cheese soup
- 2 1/2 cups hot water, plus extra as needed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 pound vegetable rotini (I like the tiny spirals more than elbow mac because they hold the sauce better)
1. Bring evaporated milk, soup, water, salt, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a large pot. Slowly add both cheeses until melted and smooth.
2. Add uncooked pasta to slow cooker and cover with cheese sauce. Stir well. Cover and cook for two hours on high, stirring occasionally.
3. After two hours, gently stir pasta and add water as needed to loosen. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!