While I love alfredo sauce as much as the next person, I was looking for a healthier alternative. I tried several types of “light” or “low-fat” store-bought alfredos but I was looking for something with fewer chemicals and more flavor. Cue the cashew-based alfredo alternatives. I tried several types of vegan alfredos and came up with a hybrid that has some great rich, nutty flavor but is based in healthy fats and vegetables.
- 1/3 heaping cup of non-salted cashews
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 small basil leaves or 3 large leaves
1. Wait for it….put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. BAM! That’s it! Do taste and adjust the seasonings gently as you prefer and make sure to heat the sauce to bring all the flavors together. Enjoy!