I would love to tell you that this was a wildly difficult recipe requiring years of training and recipe perfection, but really, this dish is so simple I almost didn’t put it on the blog. Almost…Then I did some reflection and realized that a simple recipe can be delicious, welcome on a busy night, and, like these gorgeous roasted beets, quite beautiful.
- 2 medium red beets
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- pinch salt/pepper
- 2 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 1/3 cup unsalted almonds, chopped coarsely
1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, sat aside. Peel beets and slice width-wise, in 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. The actual width is your preference, but try to make sure that the slices are all approximately the same width so that they finish cooking at the same time.
2. Place beet slices on parchment paper and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over slices. Sprinkle dried thyme and salt and pepper over the slices and bake in oven until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Once beets are fork tender, remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
3. Grab a nice plate and get to stacking! Place one beet slice on plate, top with a dollop of herbed goat cheese and sprinkle chopped almonds on top, repeat with additional slices.
4. To finish, drizzle remaining olive oil on top of beet stacks and sprinkle some chopped almonds on top for presentation-that’s it!