In the middle of winter I found myself missing summer sweet tomatoes. Maybe because I just (finally) cleaned out my garden plot or maybe because I’m getting excited for my new, larger plot; either way, it was tomato time. I was also in the market for a fresh appetizer to bring to a gluten-free, vegetarian friend’s party and these hit the spot. These tasty bites made for a nice addition to the night that everyone could enjoy and were very easy to make.
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 package of fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for seasoning
- ricotta cheese
- gluten-free table crackers
1. Slice each tomato into 8ths and place in medium sized mixing bowl. Chiffonade entire package of basil and add to the sliced tomatoes.
2. Saute the minced garlic for 3 minutes over medium heat just to tone-down the harshness. Add sauteed garlic to tomatoes and basil.
3. Add salt, pepper and olive oil to tomato mixture, adjusting if necessary. Cover mixture and let sit for an hour.
4. While tomato mix is sitting, spread ricotta cheese over table crackers. I used about 1/2 teaspoon per cracker. Drizzle olive oil over ricotta crackers and sprinkle salt and pepper on top of crackers.
5. Top seasoned ricotta crackers with heaping teaspoons of tomato mixture and enjoy!