Here’s a great breakfast idea for mornings with friends and family. This frittata comes together quickly and is packed with flavor and veggies. Top it with fresh cilantro and you’ll have a gorgeous, tasty breakfast ready to share…or not 🙂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek
- 5 turkey sausage links
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch salt and pepper
- About a half cup of your favorite cheese- I use a mix of mozzarella and cheddar
- Fresh cilantro to top
- You’re going to start this frittata on the stove and finish it under the broiler so before you start slicing and dicing, move an oven rack to its topmost position in your oven and preheat your oven to broil.
- Remove greens and roots from leek, then cut the remaining whites into quarters. Cut those quarters into quarter inch slices. Do the same with your turkey sausage and set sausage aside.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in a large, oven-safe saucepan and, once warm, saute leeks in oil for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat until they get some color.
- Add sausage and saute together for another 2 to 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix 5 eggs with 1 teaspoon butter and 2 tablespoons milk. Whisk well and set aside.
- One the sausage has had a chance to brown, add 2 tablespoons of salsa to leek and sausage mix. Mix in 1 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of salt and pepper and stir together.
- Add egg mixture back to pan, increase heat to medium and allow all ingredients to cook together. Do not scramble your eggs! Allow eggs to cook, untouched, until just the center of the pan jiggles when you shake the pan.
- Once you’ve reached jiggly perfection, sprinkle half cup of cheese over the top of the frittata and place frittata with uncooked cheese into your preheated oven set to broil.
- Watch carefully! By the time the cheese melts and browns your frittata will be done, this may only be a minute or two. Top with freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!